Step One – FTM: The Work of the Leader (FTML)
With 30 years of ecumenical professional education experience the IMN faculty are a extensively trained and experienced team of practitioners of Intentional Interim Ministry.
This three-day, self-contained Fundamentals of Transitional Ministry: The Work of the Leader course introduces theories that are foundational to interim ministry. The class hours are devoted to providing opportunities for experiential learning through the use of case studies and sacred story. The work of the interim leader is presented and discussed along with tools and resources that facilitate the work of the transitional leader.
While this course emphasizes the work of the transition pastor, it is helpful to judicatory and lay leaders to make informed and healthy choices about clergy leadership during times of transition.
The three days are focused on:
Foundations of Transitional Ministry. Using General Systems Theory, Bowen Family Systems Theory and William Bridges’ Theory on Change and Transition, attendees explore the unique dynamics of congregations in transition and understand how a congregation as a system responds to loss/changes and begins to explore alternative responses. The day emphasizes importance of differentiation of self for the transition leader and resources to help others understand current relationships.
Tools for the Transitional Leader. Devoted to developing leadership skills that are basic to the practice of transitional ministry, this day explores the value of intentional and thoughtful listening, why power analysis is important in a congregation and the importance of taking care of self as a precursor to knowing and leading a congregation in transition.
The Work of the Transitional Leader. Examine the process that a leader goes through from beginning to end in an interim situation. This Process Task include Joining the System, Analyzing the System, Discerning Responsibility and Establishing Priorities, Connecting the Congregation and the Denomination, and Evaluating and Adjusting to a New Future.
Cost, Class Schedule & Registration
The cost of the workshop is the Tuition + Room/Meals.
The 2020 tuition for each class is $740.00 until January 31, 2020, As of February 1, 2020, Tuition will be $750.00. Tuition includes a 1 year of IMN Membership and the FTML manual.
- The housing cost is priced for 2 nights stay, Sites have single and double accommodations and 3rd night stay options may be available. IMN cannot guarantee single rooms.
- If a Double Room is requested-IMN will assign a like-gender roommate in the order received. Should a roommate not be available you may incur the Single Room Rate.
- The commuter cost is priced for 3 days which includes lunch/ breaks, depending on the center Breakfast and Dinner may also be included.
- For early and/or late stay, special dietary meals and accommodations, Contact the IMN Office 800-235-8414 or Ellen@imnedu.org.
- We have included the name of each classes venue. Click on the venue to view the location. This is only for information, DO NOT contact the center. They will not be able to help you with arrangements. Contact the IMN Office 800-235-8414 or Ellen@imnedu.org.
Most classes begin at approximately 8:00 am with breakfast and registration and concludes at 2:30 pm on the last day. Additional information regarding schedule will be sent out once registration has been received.
STEPS TO REGISTER
- Choose a date and location from the 2020 schedule.
- Click on either Room and Board or Commuter to make your event selection. Room and Board means you will stay at the venue/site/facility and participate in all meals. Commuter means you will not stay at the venue/site/facility. Fee includes breaks and lunch. IMN cannot guarantee single rooms.
- Click on add to cart – You will then be directed to the shopping cart where you will select your payment option.
All dates, times, locations and/or pricing are subject to change.
2020 FTM: The Work of the Leader Class Locations
July 28-30, 2020 - Syracuse, New York
Christ The King Center
Single R&B - Add $232.00
Commuter w/ Meals - Add $135.00
August 25-27, 2020 - Malvern, Pennsylvania
Malvern Retreat Center
Double R&B - Add $300.00
Single R&B - Add $355.00
Commuter w/ Meals - Add $215.00
September 15-17, 2020 - Paris, Ontario Canada
Five Oaks Centre
Double R&B US - Add $216.00
Double R&B CN - Add $271.00
Single R&B US - Add $263.00
Single R&B CN - Add $331.00
Commuter w/ Meals US - Add $144.00
Commuter w/Meals CN - Add $182.00
October 13-15, 2020 - Marriottsville, Maryland
Bon Secours Retreat Center
Single R&B - Add $340.00
Commuter w/ Meals - Add $160.00
November 17-19, 2020 - Canton, Mississippi
Double R&B - Add $452.00
Single R&B - Add $495.00
Commuter w/ Meals - Add $325.00
December 1-3, 2020 - Scottsdale, Arizona
Franciscan Renewal Center
Double R&B - Add $265.00
Single R&B - Add $345.00
Commuter w/ Meals - Add $182.00
- To introduce basic theories that are a foundation to interim ministry,
- Provide opportunities for experiential learning through the use of case studies and sacred story,
- Present and discuss the work of the interim leader,
- To introduce the tolls/resources that facilitate the work of the interim leader.
These goals are accomplished by providing information about the impact of the departure of the a clergy person on a congregation and to describe healthy attitudes and practices of the Intentional Interim Leader.
Who Should Attend?
- Senior or associate pastors wanting to gain skills in managing transitions
- Retired or partially retired pastors wanting to advance skills in change management
- Experienced ministers considering a call to the professional specialty of intentional interim ministry. (Pre-requisite course for interims.)
- Current interim pastors trained more than five years ago
- Lay ministers or leaders with management responsibilities
- Denominational middle management
- Seminarians interested in change/conflict management specialization
Before Class Begins
It is important to prepare prior to attending the course with our REQUIRED READINGS. You are asked to read in advance and bring with you to the event the following materials: All books can be purchased through the IMN Amazon bookstore. By clicking on any of the book titles you will be connected to the amazon or other publishers.